SML was founded in 1966 by a group of investors led by Alphonse Daigle. This group owned SML until 1985, when Michel Pelletier. and his business associate bought the company. Since 1985, SML has diversified into new products, services and markets.
The company now serves the Canadian, U.S. and international markets, and whether we are building kitchens or providing stainless steel subcontracting services, the quality of our products and services is recognized worldwide.
To keep pace with its ongoing growth, SML relocated in 1988, expanded to its plant in 2001, opened a warehouse in Ontario in 2006, and added a second production plant on the south shore of Quebec in 2009. Over the years, production capacity has increased from about 12,000 square feet to over 90,000.
In 2004, Michel Pelletier initiated an internal shake-up of the company, buying out his partner’s stake and bringing his two sons, Frédéric and Simon, into SML’s management.
Nowadays, SML has a team of over 175 dedicated employees and deploys a fleet of cutting-edge equipments.
SML is certified ISO 9001:2008 and has the certifications to deliver high quality products that meet your requirements.
The production team applies the principles of lean manufacturing, allowing flexible and versatile production. The team is supported by management, who follow up with customers at every key stage of their projects.
We are dedicated to putting customer service and satisfaction first. Our commitment is to deliver a quality product within established timelines at a competitive price.
In order to deliver high quality products and increase efficiency, SML works tirelessly to maintain its fleet of cutting-edge machines.
The following is a list of some of the equipments that SML uses in its manufacturing processes:
- 2 laser cutting machines
- 1 punch press
- 5 brake presses
- 1 stamping press
- 1 digital machining center
- 1 welding robot with artificial vision
- 1 shear
- 1 grinding machine
- 1 deburring machine
- Several welding and polishing stations
- QMI-SAI Canada Limited according to ISO 9001: 2008 for the application of a quality management system.
- Underwriters Laboratories according to ASME A112.19.3 and CSA B45.4 for stainless steel plumbing fixtures.
- Underwriters Laboratories (Classified Environmental and Public Health) according to NSF/ANSI 2 standards for sanitation of food equipment.
- Underwriters Laboratories according to UL 197 and CAN / CSA C22.2 No. 109-M1981 for the safety of custom built food service equipment.
- Underwriters Laboratories (Classified Environmental and Public Health) according to NSF/ANSI 4 standards for sanitation of commercial cooking, rethermalization and powered hot-food-holding and transport equipment.
- Underwriters Laboratories according to UL 197 and CAN / CSA C22.2 No. 109-M1981 for the safety of commercial cooking appliances.
- Underwriters Laboratories in accordance with UL 471 and CAN / CSA C22.2 No.120-13 for the safety of commercial refrigerators and freezers.
- Underwriters Laboratories (Classified Environmental and Public Health) according to NSF/ANSI 7 standards for commercial refrigerators and freezers.
- Scientific Equipment & Furniture Association (SEFA Executive Member) in accordance with SEFA 8 M-2014 for the manufacturing of scientific laboratory equipment.
- Canadian Welding Bureau according to CSA Standard W47.1 for fusion welding of steel.
- Canadian Welding Bureau according to CSA Standard W47.2 for fusion welding of aluminum.
- Canadian Welding Bureau according to CSA Standard W178.2 for the qualification of welding inspectors.